Today I learnt about the structure of narrative. I also learnt how different viewpoints or frames can describe the key stages of narrative. I wrote and sketched ideas for these stages but I didn’t have enough time to create the last aspect, so I am currently working on that in my own time.
Although these images aren’t very polished, they gave me great ideas for visual drama, which can be used in my book cover. They also gave me new ideas for composition and how abstract symbols can be placed to describe the scene. Another thing that I’ve learnt is that an image that is more symbolic and abstract can be more visually interesting, instead of trying to describe the whole scene in one picture.
Today I’ve looked at images from books that had examples of object, location and character, and how the images can be seen through the lens of narrative. I did this by analysing the images and trying to figure out what can be seen, what’s happening, what it is about etc. Whilst I was doing this, I was thinking about how these completely different and unrelated images could cross over to create a whole new narrative. This session was a good introduction to how I can use the library for different types of research other than just books, for example things like films, magazines and websites. I hope to research further into things that keep me interested and inspired to help me progress and think about how my work can develop.
Today our task was to produce a series of 5 images that were inspired by my chosen story. I chose to focus mainly on the topic of people. I did this because the story (The Prophet’s Hair) described the characters in interesting ways which made it easy for me to visualise them but also leave room for my own imagination and interpretation. I had also searched images on Pinterest that I used as references for images that I wanted to create.
Lake in Srinagar – Article from guardian.co.uk
Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir by Steve McCurry
The 5 images that I made needed to create narrative tension. Whilst I was creating these images, I had discussed with the course tutors about how I could experiment further using the first few images that I had. This encouraged me to develop my ideas further and create work that was a bit more visually interesting.