At the beginning of setting up the exhibition we made a last minute decision to create a more abstract installation using twigs and branches. We went back to the idea of having wooden tipis but more varied in size and the way they were placed. During the exhibition set up, we all went to Chapelfield park and collected a lot of twigs and started to figure out what to do with the given space we had. Over the course of a week of setting it up we had a few ideas along the way, which we tried them out and made lots of mess. This made the area feel more wild and rustic, from carving sticks into spears to dipping parts into red paint to signify blood.
We wanted to portray type of scene/ representation of the story. We wanted to also leave it for the viewer to decide what it means. When people looked at it, they guessed straight away that it was based on lord of the flies. I think this is because it looked very natural, rural and intimidating. What I got from it was that the tipis not only represented a settlement, but also a group of children that were maybe walking through a forest, as they almost looked like moving figures. Some were dipped in red paint to describe how the children became impure and scarred from the island. Another observation was that the sticks have been put together and sharpened into spears and placed in an orderly fashion to give an indication that it was someones territory. We then added lights to create shadows on the wall. This gave the installation a more dramatic and eerie effect.
We were thinking about how we could come up with something interactive, so we brainstormed and thought of completely different ideas to what we were going for in the last few tasks. For this task one of our group members researched the work of an artist called Takashi Kuribayashi who creates enormous installations. One of which was an installation of a forest that was completely white, and had a floor with holes that people could look through when they walk underneath. We had a similar concept idea but instead of the trees, there would be floating corpse like ghosts that represent the children that were perhaps lost or dead in the book. In the end, we got feedback from other students and tutors saying that our other ideas were maybe stronger and that our previous work generated more ideas to develop from and experiment with.
For this task we decided to make a 3 minute film that was to be projected onto a wall display. The display had text and paper cut outs that would create shadows on the wall. This is what the display looked like.
The paper cut outs are shapes of objects from the book like the pig’s head, the conch and other stuff. I think we wanted to make the display to look quite chaotic, which describes the book perfectly. Behind the shapes we put up posters to do with war and newspapers with headlines that related to war and conflict. The reason we did this is because not only was there conflict in the book, it was written in 1954 and the book was set during a fictional atomic war.
In this film we decided to each create a segment of moving images to be edited into one film. The reason why we did this is so that we could all create films that portray different stages of the book so that it would all come together as a narrative based film, but is more abstract and atmospheric. The whole film is in black and white to give a sense of the time the story was set in. Same idea goes for the sounds that were put into the film, to give a sense of danger, isolation and chaos. Our previous task where we experimented with sound and lighting had inspired us hugely to create this installation.
For our second task, we set up the tableau from ideas that were discussed in the group to see how it looked. The ideas that we had were to have a start, a middle and an ending of a narrative sequence. From the start we had white coloured children’s clothes the we thought could portray innocence and on the other end we had another item of clothing that was the colour red, which portrays the children’s loss of innocence and corruption at the end of the book. In the middle was a hut made out of nature which had a mirror for the viewer to look into and had noises of a pig squealing coming from within. These were early ideas that were made which can be explored and developed further through future discussions as a group.
For this particular lesson, we played around with light and different angles. What we really liked the idea of was having a light shun at one end of the tableau and having it dark at the other end of the table to also explain how dark the story gets. What we also really liked was how the light changed colour when we put a pink sheet of paper over it, which changes the mood of the piece completely.
For the first lesson of project 2, we were put into groups to do visual research on a book that we were given. Our given book was Lord of the Flies. Through reading the sample of the book, we had discovered that the description was strong in colour, texture, sound atmosphere and light. We thought that these descriptions were expressing aggressive and negative feelings which, as we know that the book is a dark tale, foreshadows what is going to happen in the story. We looked at what happened in the book and tried to describe the events through the beginning, middle and end with things that can also describe the mood and overwhelming, vivid descriptions.
Our aim was to describe the narrative by making the beginning of the table progress into something that goes out of control, just like the book did. We did this using twigs to describe the children and how some of them survived and grew bigger but also how some died and things becoming more chaotic. We also made trails with tape to describe the mood and story changing using words and colour that was drawn over the top. As well as that we aligned some crayons at the at one end of the table to portray the children at the beginning of the book.