Final Edited Images

These images are to go along with the previously posted comics during exhibition. It will consist of four a3 panels pieced near each other to add to the size of a1, and two a2 landscape panels that will also add up to a1.

finaledit2finaledit1

Advertisements

BA3b – Final Project

For this project I had decided to create a series of comic strips based on the short horror story – Nightmare at 20,000 Feet by Richard Matheson. This story is about a man named Wilson who is travelling by passenger plane, and sees a monster outside on the plane wing which slowly makes him become mad because no one believes him. I began looking at things from the 50s and 60s because it was around that time the story was written. I have also found a few old comics that have a similar aesthetic to comics in the 60s, even though I couldn’t find any old enough, they still gave me an idea of how comics are structured and illustrated.

Weird Mystery Tales #7 September 1973 – DC Comics Grade VG

 

Relaxed: Passengers demonstrate the comfort of the new Comet 4 plane on August 28th 1958. The plane was being shown in Hatfield in the UK
Photo by Douglas Miller (1958) Gettyimages.co.uk – In Focus: The Golden Age of Air Travel

 

I started to roughly imagine what the comic strips would look like by sketching out a few ideas and figuring out where everything would go on the page, as well as what will fit together on a page. During this time, I was told that I needed to edit the pages down and give more of a summary of the story as it will simply take me way too long in the time that I had.

A short collaboration – Mr. K

During other projects, I have helped put together a small exhibition with a friend from the fine art course. We had this fairly simple idea of creating a scene out of my friends work space by making it look like the living room of  fictional character.  We decided that we wanted him to remain vague and mysterious but also give a loose background on the character.

I contributed by making ink drawings of the same character but each one shows him getting older, so that it can but put up and show the progression of the characters emotions and appearance throughout time.

We also made the space look someones room by adding wallpaper and furniture as well as objects that this character may possess and objects that may indicate significance to him. My friend also painted specific objects so they stand out from all the other objects that he has collected. We also wanted the place to look run down and deteriorated to look like what could be the aftermath of what this character has been though.

image9image10

UEA Collaboration Project

In this project, we collaborated with people from the creative writing course at University of East Anglia. We were paired up and left to our own devices to collaborate and create something that was to be showed at an exhibition at NUA. Me and my collaboration partner decided it would be great to involve things that we both enjoy doing which would normally be our preferred areas of style and expertise, so I started designing characters based on short poems that she came up with.

This helped us decide what the next step was and which poem we wanted to elaborate on.

In the end we chose a poem of a nature lady character that lived in the forest, because we agreed that it was a lot more abstract and descriptive than the others. As well as this, I think it opened me up to be more creatively free than I had expected.

When I went to the the group tutorials, I had been told that the near complete illustrations didn’t seem as colourful or as creative as my first designs and ideas. My next step would be to develop these illustrations with more vivid colour and detail.

BA3a – Research and Developement

From the start of this project, I had discovered that I wanted to base my practice on comics and loosely base it on my report. To begin with I started to draw comics that were based on everyday life and the ordinary. The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker was a good starting point to encourage me to draw and think about what to show in these comic panels. It made me think about what was worth showing and what wasn’t.

 

Project Presentations

After attending show showing presentations, being given my critical feedback, I managed to narrow my subject down and make it more specific. I had been encouraged to base my report and my practice on wordless novels and silent stories. This can be seen by looking at Frans Masereel’s woodcut prints that are sequenced to create silent story.

Image result for frans masereel a passionate journey

Reportage and ideas

I began to draw from my surroundings, but I think the real form of reportage can be seen in my comic strip final outcomes. With this being said the drawing were beneficial and did create new ideas. It made me think about my structure and placement of drawings on a page.

 

 

Final Outcomes

These are all small comic strips that do not relate to each other at all. Although it is possible to create story out of them. The fourth image is based on a short story called ‘Cathedral’ by Raymond Carver. The story is about a mans wife who invites her friend to stay over for the night because the friend is visiting his wife’s family after her passing away. The whole point of the story is that the woman’s husband is not fond of the idea of him staying over because of his prejudices against him being blind. Later on in the story, the blind man opens the husband up and helps him become a more open minded understanding person by putting him in his shoes.